Kevin Kelly (The Technium) analysed the business models in digital publishing as digital means no-cost copy and internet means free-for-all. (Article found via Seth Godin's blog).
When copies are free, you need to sell things which can not be copied.
- Immediacy -- Get it sooner than others
- Personalization -- Get the right version for your need
- Interpretation -- Get it including support for users
- Authenticity -- Get it original
- Accessibility -- Get it including upgrades
- Embodiment -- Get it merchandized
- Patronage -- Get it honoring the author
- Findability -- Get it for the right context in the right time